Post image for A Look At Flaviar

A Look At Flaviar

by Oliver Klimek on December 4, 2013

A while ago a company called Flaviar contacted me and asked if I would like to review their services. Unfortunately I was too tied up with the Malt Maniacs Awards to give it a proper look. But now that that burden has been lifted from my shoulders, I can finally do what I promised.

Flaviar is one of the businesses that offer sample sets for sale. But unlike some other ventures they don’t stick to whisky but also have sets of other spirits like rum or gin. Each set consists of five 45 ml samples and sost from €20 to €40 approximately, according to the retail prices of the included spirits. They also offer a monthly subscription for €30.99. Flaviar is honest with their prices, they always list the retail price of the bottles contained on the set. The markup of the samples is around 100% which I think is fair given the fact that the spirits have to be repackaged.

I was sent the “Higlander” whisky pack that consists of Glen Garioch Founder’s Reserve, Old Pulteney “Flotilla”, Dalmore Vintage 2000, Glengoyne 12 yo and Glenmorangie Astar (reviews to follow for the whiskies that I have not tasted yet). This set appears to have sold out.

Packaging is nice and straightforward in a little cardboard box. The sample bottles are narrow and test tube like, so they should better be kept in the box. Included are two small leaflets, one explaining the samples and one with “Tasting Instructions”.

The Flaviar website has a nice design, but there is one thing I absolutely dislike. To see anything beyond the welcome page you have to sign up either with your email address or with your Facebook account. Then an account is created automatically for you and a random password sent by email. In times where more and more people are careful about their traces in the digital world I consider this kind of behaviour a definite no go.

Overall I like the concept, but at least in the whisky department the selection is definitely more suitable for curious beginners than for experienced whisky lovers. The data-snatching website makes it impossible for me though to issue a unconditional recommendation.

Tony Bagnall December 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm

there are a fair few of us out there doing tasting packs now, we all have different business models though models. An article comparing us all would be interesting. Still plenty of scope for growth imo, although the gift market is much bigger than the whisky lover one. Our main problem is the spirallnig cost of whisky! I see flaviar have moved to 45ml from 50ml. Thats one solution!

Inch December 6, 2014 at 2:23 am

Ordered from Flaviar two months ago. Still waiting for the product. Ripped off for almost $150 USD. Scam company. Beware.

Valerie (FLAVIAR.COM) December 26, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Dear Inch. We are truly sorry for the delay. You have probably received your parcel by now because we are definitely not a scam. Please read our official response in the comments below.

inch December 30, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Hello Valerie….I stand corrected. Received my products the day after XMas. Tell me why it took two months and a day to deliver 3 bottles. Love the product & price but not sure I would do this again. You really need to work at service after the sale and a reasonable time frame for delivery. Two months is one month too long.

Valerie March 19, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Dear inch. We are aware of the unreasonably long delivery times to the US and are taking quick steps to overcome this issue. The delivery times for our US customers will be severely shortened in the immediate future. Don’t hesitate to turn to our Customer Care Team, and we’ll be glad to provide further update or assist you in any way you need.

Michael A.Procino August 29, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I just received my first order from Flaviar. The bottles were well packed, but I don’t understand why they came to me via Posta Slovenije? Is there a reason my Scottish Single Malts are being shipped from Slovenia? Makes me wonder if perhaps I’m getting a counterfeit product?

Oliver Klimek August 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Flaviar is based in Slovenia. Why should Scotch whisky not be sold in Slovenia? It is sold in almost all countries of the world. And they also sell other spirits from other countries.

John Miska September 10, 2014 at 10:44 pm

They are a pain in the ass as they take forever to process and ship orders. I was told that I would have my order next week two weeks ago and am still waiting.

Dave November 26, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Purchased a 3-pack. Paid for 3-pack. Weeks later, no product. No customer service. Flavair IS A RIPOFF. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. THERE ARE PLENTY OF REPUTABLE COMPANIES OUT THERE. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

Jacqueliner December 1, 2014 at 3:20 am

Ordered over 3 weeks ago and still waiting delivery, have mailed them twice and no answer. Hope it’s not a scam!

George Scott December 4, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Ordered over two months ago, still waiting for delivery, despite assurances my order had been shopped (well over a month ago). Now suddenly no response to emails. Can only assume it is a scam.

Diana Branscome December 16, 2014 at 2:49 am

I ordered two sample packs and a Gin Mare full-size bottle, and they all arrived just fine. My welcome email that detailed my order said that it would take a couple of weeks for items to arrive, and they did so right on schedule. Cannot comment yet on quality as holidays not quite here, but I had to write to mention that my experience at least with ordering and shipping was positive.

inch December 19, 2014 at 1:48 am

Diana, consider yourself very lucky. Flavair is the ultimate ripoff. 3 months after paying $175 still waiting – no customer service, no product, no refund, just screwed. Caveat emptor!

Jeremy H December 22, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I ordered 3 weeks ago and still no delivery. No answer to emails or even Facebook. Really peed me off because predictably it is for a Christmas present. I have escalated via Groupon.

inch December 23, 2014 at 2:38 am

Look at all the negative press above. Only an idiot would buy from this ripoff company.

inch December 30, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Product was finally delivered. Ordered Oct 25, 2014; rec’d 12/26/2014.

Valerie (FLAVIAR.COM) December 26, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Sorry to hear all that, but we’re definitely not a ripoff.

You know how they say, “demand was so high it crashed our website”? Well, the logistical version of that happened to us in November and December. We saw a 700% increase in tasting packs sold and although the website had no issues, we were not ready for this in the warehouse.

We had to order more drinks, boxes, sample bottles and staff up, to cope with the demand. We did our best to react quickly, but it’s not easy getting various suppliers to deliver 5- or 10-times the usual quantities in a few days.

These are not excuses, they’re explanations so you know what was going on in the background as we were working triple shifts, days and nights to fulfill your orders. We failed to predict this kind of demand and set the right expectations. We apologize for that.

We’re a young company and believe us, we’ve learned from this. Less than a month later, we’re back on track, shipping most orders next day and sending tasting packs out as fast as we can make them.

Thank your for your patience and support in achieving our mission – Flavour to the people!

Team Flaviar

Liz Wylie December 30, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I got my order after more than a month of waiting. I also got EXACTLY the same feeble e mail as posted from Flaviar above in response to my complaint. Their customer service is appalling as well as their delivery. I had ordered as a Christmas present too and had to order elsewhere to make sure I had a present for my husband. Their website says they’re in London. No mention of Slovenia. I’d never have ordered if I’d known I’d have to wait for an order from there.

This “new” company is a disgrace and the more bad reviews it gets the better to let other unsuspecting people how awful they are. Order from reputable companies and avoid Flaviar like the plague.

John Miska December 27, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Then perhaps as a gesture of goodwill you ought to send something in the way of compensation to those of us who never got orders or whose orders were unreasonably delayed. Until you do something like that do not expect another order from this unhappy unsatisfied customer!

Jeremy H December 27, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Finally after I escalated via Groupon I got a reply to my direct message on Groupon. On the latest day that I should have received my tasting pack they replied to say that ‘it would be sent out this week’. I asked if that would take a further 14-18 business days (basically the end of January) but I have had no further contact.
All this for something that was ordered end of Nov for a Christmas gift. I agree with the comments above re compensation. I reserve judgement but based on the current level of service I won’t be using Flaviar again.

Rory H December 30, 2014 at 6:15 am

Ordered 4 bottles of various whiskys and while it took an extra week to receive all arrived safe and sound. Found confirmation emails in junk folder after worrying for two weeks (that’s my fault). THANK YOU Flaviar for the extra bottle of Deanston!!! Gift or mistake I owe you one. Will definitely order again.

Ernie Barnhurst January 6, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Same experience as many of the above. An order for Christmas has failed to materialise. It has been impossible to communicate with them as they say they will phone you and don’t and there’s no phone number to contact them on. A rubbish company run by amateurs.

KK January 8, 2015 at 1:18 am

I too am waiting for an order that was placed through Groupon. I hadn’t realised initially that after placing order I then had to redeem the coupon directly on flaviar site as I have never had to do this before with other Groupon purchases. By the time I realised, this caused a huge delay and christmas delivery missed even though I originally placed order nov 25th. Once I did redeem the voucher I emailed and had a reply that it had been despatched but I am still waiting. Granted part of the delay was my fault due not reading the Groupon small print but why make it so complicated? I still await the rum tasting kit but am starting to wonder if it’s with Jack sparrow on the black pearl somewhere on an ocean far far away……

jonathan February 28, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Do not order from them. My gf ordered something for valentines day over a month ago and the order hasnt even been shipped. They took the money out right away though. I do not recommend them. Go else where

Valerie March 19, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for letting us know about the late delivery. We appreciate customers who point out when things aren’t right.

The long delivery times to the US is an issue, we know. Let me assure you that we are working hard to address this. The fruits of our labour will be visible soon enough, to the delight of our US customers.

I’m sorry that you haven’t received your gift in timelier manner. Don’t hesitate to turn to our Customer Care (hello@flaviar.com) for help. We’ll be happy to right any wrongs we caused, provide further explanations, if needed, and to set up the foundations for an amiable and advantageous relationship between us.

Jasmine February 28, 2015 at 9:40 pm

I ordered a tasting pack somewhere around mid of January. This pack was supposed to be Valentine’s gift for my boyfriend. Its been more than a month now and there is no delivery. The customer support is very friendly and the email responses are quick. While they keep assuring you in every email that customer loyalty and satisfaction are of utmost importance to them, their actions do not reveal the same. The tracking website has no updates sine 12th february. The most funny part I noticed was in one of the email they assured me if I order one more pack, I will be surprised by the lightning delivery speed. Why in the world will I order one more pack when I haven’t yet received the one I ordered almost a month back?!

I am really disappointed and they did not agree on cancelling the order and giving me refund because they say your order has been shipped already, so we cannot cancel it now.
Thanks Flaviar for spoiling my Valentines plan.

Valerie March 19, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Dear Jasmine,

First let me thank you for purchasing with us and apologize for the delayed gift. We’re aware of the long delivery times to the US and working hard to overcome this issue in the near future – from here stems the promise of lightning delivery times. If we have exceeded the expected delivery times or failed to provide a worthy service, you’re most welcome to turn to our Customer Care Team (hello@flaviar.com) and we’ll be happy to resolve the matter and offer a suitable recompense for the inconvenience we may have caused.

FlaviarScam March 17, 2015 at 11:32 pm

I placed an order of February 13th for the Intro Package from Flaviar after seeing their ads on Facebook. I was immediately charged $24.99.
I have never received the order. When I contacted them they stated it takes a few weeks to get it. (STILL HASN’T ARRIVED)
Then today 03/17/15 I was charged an additional $39.99 for “The Fruity Booty” package.
I never signed up for the subscription, I never authorized the purchase.
I have made repeated attempts to contact the Flaviar company to no avail.
This is a blatant rip off!!

Valerie March 19, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Dear customer,
We are sorry for the unfavourable experience you’ve had with our company. You have most likely placed an order for our new Flexbile Subscription plan, which would explain both charges and the mentioned tasting packs.
The subscription can be easily modified or canceled on your Flaviar profile page – this option is easily accessible to each customer who subscribes to our services.
If we exceeded our promised delivery times or breached our terms & conditions we are more than willing to offer a full refund or discuss other options of recompense, if they would prove even more mutually beneficial.
We would be most thankful, if you would be willing to turn to our Custumer Care Team (hello@flaviar.com) and give us the opportunity to apologize and address any grievances you might have.
We might not get everything right from the first go, but we’re more than willing to make up for any mistakes and shortcomings we’re liable for, and this is what will eventually make us a stellar enterprise.

Gregg March 26, 2015 at 7:07 pm

I have been a customer since the beginning of the year and aside from the shipping time, everything ordered has meet or exceeded my expectations.

It does appear that something in the shipping process has improved since the time between the sort facilities in Slovenia and NY has gone from as much as 20 days for a previous order to only 2 days in one of my recent orders.
——————————————————————
Your item departed our USPS facility in SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152 on March 26, 2015 at 4:09 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
March 25, 2015 , 2:22 pm Arrived at USPS Facility .SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152
March 22, 2015 , 9:49 pm Processed Through Sort Facility .ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
March 20, 2015 , 9:30 pm Processed Through Sort Facility .LJUBLJANA 1003, SLOVENIA
March 20, 2015 , 8:46 pm Acceptance .SLOVENIA
————————————————————–

It appears that good things are now finally happening sooner than expected.

Danny April 2, 2015 at 6:54 pm

I have trouble with flaviar but wouldn’t say they’re a scam.
They recently told me I won something and it never arrived. They don’t respond well to customer service inquiries. This kind of stuff prevents me from recommending them

Valerie April 3, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Hi Danny,

We’ve been a bit late with the reply to your inquiry, apologies. I promise we’ll do our best to address all your future concerns through our customer care platform in a timelier manner.

Jarvis April 7, 2015 at 8:04 pm

They’re not a scam, I was having good service with them and enjoying the tasting packs they offered. HOWEVER, they DO have terrible customer service and for THAT I wouldn’t recommend them. And for a company that has no way for the consumer to contact them directly (you must wait for THEM to email you) Customer Service is a must. And in this day and age of social media, bad word of mouth will kill you. I had a shipment arrive destroyed in US Mail and I was required, per their website, to take pictures and send those to them in order to receive my replacement shipment. That was 10 days ago and I’ve contacted them via email at least five times since then. To hear no word, is not only unacceptable, but it is poor customer service. I am seriously considering stopping my account with them for this very reason.

Valerie April 7, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Dear Jarvis,

We’re awfully sorry for being so inconsiderably late with our reply. We are addressing your concerns as we speak! The reply we sent you includes – besides dealing with your request – sincere apologies and a truthful explanation for the reason behind the unpunctual reply. We’re trying hard not to be insensitive to our customers’ needs. I hope you will understand and that we’ll be able to cordially resolve any wrongs we may have done you.