If You Found The Last Bottle…

by Oliver Klimek on May 12, 2012

Time for another poll. This is a tough one, even though it is a purely academical question.

Recently there was a discussion on the Malt Maniacs Facebook Page about the legendary Malt Mill distillery and the fact that it is virtually impossible to find this whisky today, especially since it supposedly was only used in blends. This brings up an interesting question from the extreme end of the constantly disputed drinking vs. collecting issue:

Imagine you find a miniature bottle of a long lost distillery or brand on the flea market. A whisky lover’s dream becomes true. You had given up any hope to ever be able to try it. But here you have it in your hands. It may be the last bottle in existence. What would you do?

1. Open the bottle and drink it
  2. Keep it
  3. Sell it
  4. I don’t know

The poll is open until 31st May midnight CEST.

Ryan May 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm

To be honest, I’d probably do a combination. I’d open it, drink a bit, then decant some into even smaller bottles to save. What purpose would saving some serve? I don’t know, but I’d probably do it anyway ;-) I’d save it to share for whenever another “malt maniac” comes around.

Oliver Klimek May 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm

If it was a big bottle that would be an option. This is exactly why this question is about a miniature bottle! Drink it and it’s gone.

Ryan May 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Oh, I know. It’s not hard to get 15 mL bottles ;-)

bloedbabbler May 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Mein Ansatz wäre: Buddel auf und trinken, danach mit einem leckeren Stöffchen a la Loch Lomond NAS auffüllen und neu verschliessen. Dann ab damit auf den Sammlermarkt; denn der gemeine Spekulant äh Sammler trinken die ja nicht, sondern macht sich -egal wie befüllt- auch so das Höschen nass vor Freude. Und spekulieren kann man dennoch damit. ;-)
Slainte blödbabbler

Keith May 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm

We’re talking miniature here and I’d be surprised if it hadn’t all evaporated, but my choice is drink it.
Now had it been a 70cl bottle, I’d probably have voted differently.

bacchus May 12, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I’d phone a couple of friends to share it, even if it’s a single sip per capita.
Anyway, I’d definitively drink it.

David May 12, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I’d have to drink it and maybe safe a tiny bit for a friend. If it was a big bottle I’d decant a sample for myself then drink the rest of it with friends who appreciate a decent dram.

Keeping it and not drinking it would be a massive waste!

Pieter May 12, 2012 at 8:48 pm

To be honest, I’d sell it. I could drink several whiskies with that money that I wouldn’t be able to afford today as well. And I could share that whisky with friends too.

Johanne McInnis May 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Open the bottle and take a mouthful, maybe share it with a very good friend. It would be a memory for both of us and possibly through social media that would not be forgotten, or at least might make it to Jeopardy as category question? :)

Matt R. May 13, 2012 at 5:31 am

Open & Drink, that is what it was made for.

kallaskander May 14, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Hi there,

I had a 5cl bottle of Lagavulin 16yo labeled White Horse Distillers not Lagavulin Port Ellen Islay.

I drank it.

That I would do with any 5 cl sample bottle. If you are not collecting mini bottles there is no sense in keeping such a fleeting sample.

Greetings
kallaskander

portwood May 14, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I’m a relative newbie and have barely hit triple digits in terms of whiskies tried. Therefore, I would save it to share with another maniac after I’ve put more malt mileage on my palate.

Stardramming May 16, 2012 at 3:46 pm

It depends on the value of the bottle. Small money, share it with a friend. Big Money, sell it and buy a few bottles to have even more fun with them. Filthy big money, buy a new mount for my telescope and a few bottles ;).

Scotch Hobbyist May 22, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Sounds similar to finding something that belongs in a museum. I’d send it to Serge Valentin. I know he’d do right by it…either by comparing it with something appropriate, or he’d know the right industry insiders to alert of the find.

Cheers,
Jeff

sku May 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I’d give it to Richard Paterson on the condition that I get no less than 40% of the sales when W&M bottles the “Malt Mill Replica,” (which would probably just be rebottled Jura).