Post image for New Poll: Which Water For Your Whisky?

New Poll: Which Water For Your Whisky?

by Oliver Klimek on October 1, 2011

Just like the last poll, this poll is about mixing. But this time it’s about a kind of mixing that is not controversial at all. The addition of water to whisky is very commonplace, and very often it is actually needed to bring out all the flavours in a whisky.

But water is not just a tasteless dilution agent, it has a bit of a flavour on its own. And so there are different philosophies about what kind of water to use in your whisky. I have encountered three basic ‘water habits’ of whisky lovers, and I would like to examine which is the most popular.

1. Only selected mineral waters
  2. Any mineral water is fine
  3. Unchlorinated tap water will do

As usual, the poll will end at the end of this month, midnight CET on 31st October.

Bozkurt Karasu October 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm

It’s so funny… We were talking about the same topic this week among friends. To be honest at home I would use the best option but if I have the chance to choose I am a big fan of Evian water with my whisk(e)y…

Pieter October 2, 2011 at 6:42 am

Isn’t it difficult to get unchlorinated tapwater? I would think there are always traces of chloride?

Oliver Klimek October 2, 2011 at 7:04 am

I don’t know if this was just a typo or a confusion. Chlorine is not chloride. Chloride ions are part of salt and are present in all waters. But the use of chlorine do disinfect tap water varies largely. In some countries virtually all tap water is chlorinated because water supply and state of the pipe system require this. In Gemany, chlorine is only used punctually for short periods of time, if some maximum concentrations have been surpassed. Normally there is no chlorine in German tap water, (or the traces are not detectable).

Pieter October 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I looked it up and it seems it isn’t allowed anymore to desinfect tapwater since 2005. Didn’t know that. My bad and my apologies to confuse you.

Pieter October 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Btw now they seem to use ozon and UV light to desinfect the tapwater, good cause both are tasteless.

atanas October 2, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I do not normally use mineral water. Generally I use spring water. I had tried some Scottish spring water, but that I cannot find readily in Bulgaria. Currently I have stocked in glass bottles water from high up in one of the mountains here. It is in fact the kind of clean soft spring water they use in Scotland to distill, so that is the closest I can get. I am happy with the result.
So not sure which one of the three answers to pick. I guess Any mineral water – but that does not have much minerals :)

Oliver Klimek October 2, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Spring water is mineral water. Sorry if you may have misunderstood