Scottish Spirits – It’s Getting Strange

by Oliver Klimek on January 28, 2011

Inspired by last week’s Scottish Spirits news about whisky in cans I was venturing around the nether regions of the whisky industry with the help of my favourite search engine. I came across a company called Reynald & Sons from Glasgow (176 St Vincent Street). That name rang a bell because the name of the owner of Scottish Spirits Ltd. is Reynald Katz.

And – surprise – the website looks almost like a clone of the Scottish Spirits site.

But it is not an exact clone. The brand range and the bottle pictures are all the same, but Reynald & Sons are universally talking of “Scotch whisky” next to their bottles whereas Scottish Sprits only mentions “whisky”. The “Manufacturing under license” page replaces the “malt and alcohol” raw materials with various types of spirits including Scotch whisky that are supposed to be bottled with their machinery. The company also offers Scotch whisky in bulk, for example “single cask 12, 18, 21 and 50 year old”

Scotch or no Scotch? So far, the question remains unanswered.

And there is another suprise hidden on the site. The Bottle specification page shows a picture of the Label 5 blend of French Producer La Martiniquaise who recently bought Glen Moray distillery from LVMH.

So could there even be a connection between Panama and Martinique, so to speak? I think I forgot to mention that Reynald Katz is of French origin as well.

In addition to all uncertainty about the Scotch-ness of the whisky of Scottish Spirits one thing has struck me. Both compaines claim to sell one million of cases of whisky (perhaps it’s the same whisky, perhaps not). This is quite a lot, 12 million bottles actually.

But on the internet I have not seen a single trace of their whisky on offer to the end consumer. Google searches only list business directories or B2B platforms like alibaba.com.  And most interestingly, when you click the alibaba links you are told they have been removed from the site. Other sites list bulk offers from Serlogin S.A (owned by Reynald Katz) for whisky made under license of Scottish Spirits Ltd. (also owned by Reynald Katz). Does the owner of both firms have to grant himself a license?

Where is Their Whisky?

The first person who can send me pictures of an actual bottle of whisky in a shop (front and back) that was made by Scottish Spirits or Reynald & Sons or Serlogin S.A will get a decent single malt sample from my collection. Send me a sealed bottle and I will return the favour with a bottle of Glenlivet 12.

Markus March 26, 2011 at 11:20 pm

This is very intriguing, have you found any additional information on this?

Oliver Klimek March 27, 2011 at 6:26 am

That’s all I know so far

Jan May 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm
Carmen May 7, 2011 at 7:14 pm

They used to have that brand of whisky in San Andres, Colombia.

Nick January 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Hello Oliver,

I’m involved in a possible supply deal with Scottish Spirits and in doing the preliminary due diligence on our potential strategic partner in business, I came across your blog notes concerning Scottish Spirits and Mr. Katz. I would be much obliged if you might be able to give me any further insight or update on the situation involving advertising, trademarks, whisky provenance, SWA action(s), etc.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Nick Alexander
[email protected]

Oliver Klimek January 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I can’t really tell you more than I have written. So far there has only been a continuous stream of announcements, but I have yet to see evidence of actual products being sold, let alone tasting notes by independent sources. All bottle and can pictures you see are computer generated. I am eagerly awaiting the fog to lift that surrounds this company.

PS: I have removed you telephone number, so you don’t risk to get spammed

KD January 28, 2012 at 2:28 am

Nick,

RUN. Google search the guy, he’s a fantastic front man. He posted an announcemnt on International Beverage Network about 2 years ago that he had the International Rights to Stolichnaya. For kicks…myself and another “played it”. No proof, lots of talk, a spreadsheet or 2 and a “the Russians won’t ship until your funds clear”

As you have seen in the past 2 years, Stolichnaya has maintained its brand partners.

Nick January 31, 2013 at 1:09 am

Hey KD,

This is a long-overdue reply but thanks for the advice. Our discussion with Scottish Spirits never got past talking stage last year, as they apparently got cold feed upon being faced with increasingly more scrutiny on our part:

Hi Nick,

I was just informed by my management that due to very busy sales in other regions of the world, we have to pass on the opportunity to work with your client.

We wish you the best of luck and hope that soon you will be able to introduce your own brand to the Russian market.

Best Regards,

SCOTTISH SPIRITS IMPORTS INC,
3101 NORTH FEDERAL HWY,
SUITE 301 A,
FT LAUDERDALE FL 33306,
USA
TEL: +1 (954) 332 11 16

I’ve not been tracking them ever since, but it would be interesting to know if there have been any further points of reference regarding their “very busy sales in other regions of the world”.

Cheers,
Nick

Gassan Matta January 27, 2013 at 7:13 am

Mr. Reynald Katz is a liar, a crook in the full sense of the word.

Just google his name Reynald Katz and Pimm fraud in panama. I lost myself 28.000 USD in 2007 with this dude as well as hundreds of people, tents of them that I know myself.

I just can’t believe he is still doing fraud all over the world. COME ON!

KD March 4, 2013 at 1:29 am

So…doesn’t this look like an interesting spin on his new SCAM

Dear Liquor Importer,

I hope this email finds you doing well.

My name is Jose Perez and I am the General Manager of The Best Spirits Company S.A. de C.V. located in the state of Aguascalientes in Mexico.

I have attached to this email the presentation of some of our whiskies so we may have the opportunity to become part of your selected group of suppliers.

Our budget friendly line is the answer to the very high demand whiskies are having worldwide but at a very affordable price. Now, thanks to The Best Spirits Company, more people can enjoy a great tasting whisky with amazing quality for a fraction of the cost of the higher end products.

I would also like to take this opportunity to share with you that we are currently offering our budget friendly whisky line for the amazing price of only $ 22.00 USD per case of 12 – 700ml. bottles. (This is our Aguascalientes City Ex Works price but it is negotiable depending on purchasing volume).

Another one of our great products is a whisky packaged in an aluminum can, which is a great new way to enjoy your whisky. This innovating and new presentation will provide great benefits to your clients such as:

· Aluminum cans cannot be tampered with, which ensures that the whisky inside has not been adulterated.

· They can be chilled quickly and maintain their low temperature for long periods of time.

· Their size is perfect for individual consumption.

· Aluminum Cans are 100% recyclable, contributing to keeping our environment clean.

· They are easy to carry because they are light, in fact they are 50 % lighter than whisky packaged in a glass bottle . You can take them practically anywhere with you. They can be enjoyed by the pool or even at the beach without worrying about broken glass bottles.

· The Patented Sealable lid, keeps your whisky clean and ready for you. (available separately)

· Our brand, Williamson 18 in aluminum cans is being offered at the Ex Works Price of $ 24.00 USD. (24 – 355ml. cans per case)

The advantage that The Best Sprits Company has over its competitors is that we manufacture our own products. In fact, we can also offer you any other kind of distilled spirit you may have the need for such as Vodka, Rum, Gin, Agave liquor (a very budget friendly version of tequila), etc.

I remain at your disposal should you happen to have any questions regarding this email or any of our great products.

I look forward to your prompt reply.

Thank you.

Best Regards.

Jose Luis Perez Rodriguez
Gerente General
The Best Spirits Company, S.A. de C.V.

Telefono Oficina: +52 (449) 153-17-11
Nextel: (461) 206-9767
Nextel ID: 62*12*45938
Direccion:
Av. Universidad # 1001
Torre Plaza Bosques. 5to piso, int. 513
Bosques del Prado, C.P. 20127
Aguascalientes, Mexico.

better not say September 8, 2013 at 12:44 am

All I can say, he is close to bankruptcy. DO NOT BUY anything from Reynald Grattagliano aka Reynald Katz.

better not say September 8, 2013 at 1:20 am

Arkay… a new venture from Mr. Grattagliano. Alcohol free whisky.

Actually tasted it… taste nothing like whisky…more like cough medicine…

By the way, I would not order from the website, as you might wait a loooong while for delivery… if you are lucky.