Post image for Glendronach Revival 15 yo

Glendronach Revival 15 yo

by Oliver Klimek on November 29, 2009

Recently re-introduced. 46%

My Tasting Notes:

Nose: Very rich, Christmas pudding, dried figs, pipe tobacco
Palate: Dry and a bit sweet, coffee, toffee, sultanas
Finish: Long and dry
Overall: Heavily sherried with quite some tannins, but not really bitter. A great and very complex single malt. Because of the mothballing of Glendronach in 1996, in a few years time new batches will be older than 15 years. Keep an eye on it!

Score: 89/100 – Price Tag $$$$$ – Value for your Money $$$$$

Available at the Whisky Exchange

Scotch Hobbyist December 3, 2009 at 7:18 am

Everybody seems to love this one. It seemed to me that there were some sulphur notes in the sample of this that I tried. I preferred the Glendronach 12 year.

Maybe I need to try again…

Jeff

Oliver December 3, 2009 at 7:36 am

I found the Revival to be very complex, but I certainly didn’t detect sulphur. But perpaps I am under sensitive to it or you are over sensitive ;-) I could imagine that the tannins may be too prominent for some, though.

Gal March 15, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Oliver,

i seemed to like the Palate more than the nose on this one. some odd hints of something akin to vinegar were annoying. i don’t think this is “sulphur”. u did not sense those?

Oliver Klimek March 15, 2010 at 2:55 pm

These vinegar like aromas are a feature of some heavily sherried whiskies. The Mannochmore I recently tasted is a “good” example. It’s supposed to be mainly acetaldehyde as is stated on the Wikipedia page for whisky. In the Glendronach I didn’t really notice that. Has nothing to do with sulphur, but perhaps it may be mistaken for it.

Gal March 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm

ah, thanks for the information Oliver. i will post my notes soon on the blog.
btw: it could be nice if u added comments in threads… so i can reply to someone’s comment. it’s a WP plugin.

Oliver Klimek March 15, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Thanks for the hint, I will look around for a plugin